Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fined for taking another man's cash at ATM machine

An Indonesian was slapped with a $1,500 fine after he pleaded guilty to misappropriating someone else's money that was left at an ATM machine. If he fails to pay the fine, he will be imprisoned for two months.

The Bandar Magistrate's Court heard that 29-year-old Syamsul Hamongan Nasution was in a queue at a bank's Cash Deposit Machine (CDM) in Pekan Muara, as he waited for his turn to use the machine to pay his credit card bills on the night of December 29, 2009. In front of the defendant was another customer (the complainant) who was depositing money into the machine to pay his car loan.

After waiting for some time for the receipt to be issued by the CDM, the complainant left the place thinking that the money had been deposited even though the receipt had not been printed out.

When it was Syamsul's turn to use the CDM, he inserted his credit card into the machine. After he pressed the 'OK' button, the money that had earlier been inserted by the previous customer came out.

Syamsul took the money, estimated to be more than $400, from the machine and went outside to look for the complainant. But he was nowhere to be found.

The court was told that Syamsul decided to keep the money in his wallet.

On January 7, 2010, the bank called up the complainant saying that he had missed his car loan repayment for a month. The next day, he was informed by the bank that the money that he thought had been deposited in December had been ejected by the CDM.

The complainant reported the matter to police who retrieved CCTV images from the bank and discovered that the money had been taken by Syamsul.

After being arrested on March 18, 2010, Syamsul immediately admitted that he had used the money to buy a ticket to Jakarta. He paid $431 to the complainant yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I'm syamsul hamongan nasution. that is true story, but I want to ammend some part.
    first, I have been give back the money before I go to court in that night when folice looking for me (17rd 2010) I meet the complaintment at police office and the complaintment as agree I pay back the money and he want to close the case IN THAT NIGHT 17 march 2010. but police muara doesnt want. I know that is my fall, but I dont have intentions to took the money from the Deposit mecheine. why the compliment not feel guilty, its was his falls also right NOT CHECK THE TRANSACTION UNTIL FINISH. and when I found the money I'm looking for him in the outside of bank. you know its not FAIR for me. I got fine 1500 bnd and payback the money 431bnd and at jail for 2 days. and my company want me to resign. no problem for me. as you know. I'm a IT project engineer my sallary was 2k with the facility house and car. you know I give my best contribut and skill to bulid your country for some IT project at brunei darusalam. for example : E-Goverment Muara Port system and Telbru PrePaid Card System. but its okey its was my mistaken, but its not FAIR. remember I'm IT engineer, you know wht is IT poeple can do if he fells angry.

    Cheers

    getlostbrunei@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete